Saturday, December 6, 2014

The Nature of God Part IV: Why the Big Bang Theory is Actually Naive





Naïve? Really?
Scientists often accuse religious people of being naïve...so I had to try it out. Sorry.

Naïve is defined as: having or showing a lack of experience or knowledge : innocent or simple by Merriam-Webster. I'll stick to the definition that means...way too simple.

The Big Bang Theory in short claims that our universe sprang into existence as a singularity and has been expanding from there. This is only one scientific theory about the beginnings of the universe, by the way. It is just the most popular one right now. (other theories). The reason I think this is too simple is that I am the kind of person that makes things.

"Huh? What does this have to do with the Big Bang being true or not?" You may ask.

Point of view. Mine.

As someone who creates and doesn't just analyze and study, I have a unique perspective on life. People who study and take, but never create do not understand how nonsensical it is to ponder the idea of things spontaneously generating elements, let alone creating life.

Let me put it another way. A lot of Big Bang lovers see everything as particles which, through billions and billions (thanks to Carl Sagan) of years came together to form matter (atoms) then molecules, then life. To them, they are evolutionary inevitabilities of mathematical probability. That is to say, it may have taken forever, but if you play all the variables eventually the right result will turn out.

Now, I will tell you why this is total nonsense.

I call this the Theory of the Cake. Why? Cake is supposed to be easy, right? Have you ever baked a cake? It isn't rocket science. You need several (preexisting) ingredients. Usually it is flour, sugar, eggs, oil, milk or water, a leavening agent such as baking power, and a flavoring. Each element contributes to its form, texture, taste, and durability. Too much flour makes a dry, heavy cake. Too much oil, and it does not rise as well. Too much sugar makes the cake liquidy and flat. The wrong combination in general makes a lousy cake. The temperature in which to cook the cake, the pan which the cake is cooked in (from material, to size and shape), the utensils used and duration in which it is mixed...even the order in which the ingredients are added affects the outcome of the cake. All these variables are important in making a good cake. A rocket scientist might even screw this one up if he does not follow the directions correctly. So, maybe if we provided him a box mix? All you add is oil, eggs and water/milk - right?

Now, be honest. Have you ever met someone who screwed even a box cake up? I have. I have seen people ignore the directions and make lousy cakes from a simple mix.

So, here is the experiment:
What are the chances (and be honest) if I took all the preexisting elements required for making a cake, from the materials to the tools, left them in a room day after a day... how long would it take for the cake to spontaneously form? Statistically?
I'd say, no chance.
What if I randomly tossed them into the oven, day after day, randomly selecting the temperature?
The chances for awesome cake then? Certainly with that little interference the chances would rise? Right?
Uh, probably not.
How about I take the insides of the eggs out of the shells, and the mix out of its box and put all of the stuff into a pan? Higher chances?
Maybe.
But let's be honest here. Making something as simple, yet awesome, as a cake (from preexisting ingredients) takes a baker.
even with a creator...some cakes don't turn out
This is why I believe in a Creator.

I think creating molecules takes a lot more effort and talent than me baking a cake - and I can make a pretty tasty cake. Angel food... and that one is a little harder to make. So here is the theory - if a cake cannot be created spontaneously with preexisting materials, then how in the world can things just spontaneously spring into existence, neatly fit into complicated order and continue towards a living thing without any help or guidance or intervention? To me that is like spontaneous combustion. Fascinating imagery, but not really practical.

I believe in the First Law of Thermodynamics. Matter/energy can be neither created nor destroyed. It just moves around. Two... I believe the universe is a lot larger than we can possibly comprehend. And third, I don't actually believe in Creation Ex Nihilo. This flies in the face of the First Law of Thermodynamics...and I think also an over-simplification the Biblical Creation. The reason I say this is because I. Am. A. Creator.

I make things.

And I don't make things out of nothing.

I need materials in which to make things. A potter has clay. An painter has paint and canvass. A seamstress has cloth and thread. And yes, a baker has flour, sugar, milk/water, eggs, oil, and flavoring.

Don't believe me?
Here are some things I make.
charcoal still life on paper

6" dolls made from fabric, clay, fibers and imagination
These kinds of things take skill.
Tools.
Training.
Experience.
Imagination.
And Time, Time, Time.







They require the ability to observe.
They also require lots of patience if they don't work out the first time.

Are they precious to me?
Yes. I worked hard on them.
Are they everything to me?
Uh...I care about them, but they aren't my life.

Life-sized purple minion made from Mad Science

Now, to show my POV on our Creator, which will be the next topic in the next blog....

I've made all these. Put all my time and talent into them. And if my house burned down, taking them to ashes forever, yes, I'd be very upset.

But if I had child in that fire also, my own flesh and blood, which would I save? The creations of my hands or the purest, most personal creation of my life?

I think the answer to this one is obvious. But let's take it a step further. Would I send my own flesh and blood to die for the creations of my hands?

I believe in the Christian God who gave his only Son for us didn't do it because we are really cool creations that he has labored to make - but that we really are his children.

Now, let's take the question further. Would a parent send a trusted child to rescue his other children? I'd say the answer is YES.

Think on that.



No comments:

Post a Comment