Saturday, November 29, 2014

My Rights, Existentialism, and Truth


"I have the right!"
This is what a lot of people say to justify doing things they want to do, damn the consequences.

So... I keep wondering how true that is. What rights do we really as human beings have? Why? And what declared rights are total B.S.? And why?
I think to establish rights we ought to eliminate all the constructs. A construct is "an idea or theory containing various conceptual elements considered to be subjective and is not based on empirical evidence" according to Google. Basically, they are subjective ideas and not real things. So what constructs do we have?

Culture, for one. Cultures vary all around the world. Culture dictates what you eat, how you sleep, what is polite to say, what you should wear, what is lucky or unlucky, and a whole slew of what is 'correct' and 'incorrect'. Some people believe that right and wrong are also dictates of culture. There may be behaviors considered repulsive to one society and ok in another. Some cultures not only condone polygamy, but it is ingrained in their society as correct behavior. Others are famous for eating dog (which is considered horrible to those cultures that love fido and fifi). Others condone cannibalism. It begs the question, is there any absolute truth, or is it all just a whim of culture?

According to existentialism, everything is subjective. That is to say, there is no real truth--only Point of View. That also means there is no right or wrong. Lots of people like this philosophy because it makes it easy to commit behaviors that most societies see as wrong - such as having prolific amounts of sex, cheating, lying, or thinking of 'me' first. But let's take this to the extreme. There are other behaviors that have people screaming in horror - such as rape, pedophilia, incest, and murder. If there truly is no right or wrong then these behaviors would be A-Okay.

So are there absolute truths? Is this why we scream in horror at the behaviors above? Do we really have unalienable rights that should not be violated by others? Or is this really a dog-eat-dog, every-human-for-his/herself kind of existence?

Let's first explore the consequences to the answers of the question: "Are there absolute truths?" If yes, then right and wrong has a foundation on which to stand. If no, then the existentialists have it right and we are all basically stuck with the life we have ended up in and are left to claw our way around life as best as we can. Personally, the appeal of the first is that there is hope for the human race. The appeal to the second is a rather selfish free-for-all kind of life, which doesn't really appeal to me at all.

So, to answer the question: Are there absolute truths? I look at math. I look at sports. I look at baking cakes. I look at life and how things work.

Here are the facts: I know that if I do certain things in a certain way I will get the end result I am aiming for. I'm rather methodical. I know certain methods when making something work better than other methods. But if everything really were subjective, then wouldn't a person think that how one does a thing would not matter at all?

You might argue, there are many ways to bake a cake. And I'd reply--which kind of cake? For example, I've made angel food cakes. They are different from Bundt cakes in content and preparation, even though they both have holes in the center. And if you want a good angel food cake you really have to follow the directions explicitly. If you don't you follow the instructions, you get bad cake. Also, if playing basketball, there is only one way to score points - getting the ball into the hoop. You don't get points for doing anything else, no matter how cool it may be. Likewise, with soccer, it does not matter how cool your footwork is - if you do not get the ball into the goal you do not win the game. Period. And no matter how much you may insist that 2 + 3 = 23 the real answer is 5. Want to test that? Try building a house with this kind of mathematics. It is total nonsense. Try doubling a cake recipe with this nonsense mathematics. Try building a fusion bomb with this nonsense mathematics... watch the world go *BOOM*.

So, it is fair to say that there are absolutes in the world that are not subjective but are in fact real. Does this mean everything is real? No. Not any more than 2+3=23. It means that there is truth and there is error. There are facts, and there is fiction. And yes, a lie cannot exist if there is no truth.

Now, since this is the case, since there are absolutes in the world (and I am not going to explore all of them - the blog is too small a venue), then we have to ask if some of those absolutes are unalienable rights. They are called Natural Rights by Wikipedia.

The Founding Fathers of the United States of America established their view of unalienable rights as "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" as penned by Thomas Jefferson in the Declaration of Independence. John Locke phrased it as "life, liberty and property." It is interesting to note that Jefferson had changed it. I'm guessing he had a different view on the subject.

This is what I think. Everyone has the right to life. I believe that once you are conceived, you have the right to progress in your growth until natural death takes you. To me, this means no one has the right to end another human being's life...unless you are defending your own right to live (that's self-defense, in case you were wondering).

Second, I think everyone has the right to make their own future. That is opportunity. It is connected with the first, but basically, I think no one should be hindered in educating his or herself, or in seeking fair work, and in choosing their path. The world we live in likes to put us into molds and shape us into their forms. But I think there are many who feel squashed by these and are aching to break out. Freedom to choose your own path to me is liberty.

Third, I think everyone has the right to space. That is, everyone should be allowed to control their own personal space. To me, having a sanctuary from the assaults of opinions, physical demands, and on my property (which I have worked hard for) ought to be protected. I think without the personal sanctuary of space people break.

I also think people have the right to an opinion, even if it disagrees with mine. And further, that I have the right to disagree with them as well. I think I'll call it right to be an individual. The right to think for myself.

All other rights, I've decided, are surplus.

Now, you may think..."Huh? What about right to property? You did bring that up."

Ok, I think people have the right to keep lawfully acquired and owned property. But no one has the right to take property from others and say they have a right to it because everyone has a right to property. That, my friends, is theft.

See people get confused when they think about rights when they are really thinking on the philosophy: "The world owes me a living" (film sourceSource for the film.

No one owes you anything that you do not work for. No one is born deserving anything beyond the freedom to be and the freedom to act. But even those freedoms end when you violate someone else's freedom to be and to act. Your freedom to act is your freedom to choose what you do with your life.

Now,  you are probably thinking, what about people born rich and people born poor and starving? Shouldn't something be done? My answer is yes. Something should be done... as long as it does not mess with the freedom to be or the freedom to act. That is to say... force is not allowed. If you want to solve the extreme situation between the poor and the rich, to feed the homeless and to care for those who are suffering, I suggest three things:

If you have - give.
If you know - teach.
If you need help to accomplish more - ask for it from like-minded people.

I know. Maybe too simple. But the real cause for suffering really is selfishness on both sides. You cannot take what you did not earn. You cannot demand and force others to do as you want them to do. Instead, you lead the way. You share what you know, and call to those who may be sympathetic for help. And for those who don't help...well, they just haven't quite understood yet that life really isn't about rights and getting what you want anyway. It is about making the best out of whatever it is you have been given so everything around you is better because of your existence. It is about growing to your highest potential, to your best self. Like the angel food cake...there are instructions... if we look for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment